Friday, August 16, 2013

Smoother Shaving with Natural Products

As someone with PCOS, I know firsthand what a hassle it can be to shave.  I have to shave my legs every single day if I don't want what my kid calls "pricklies."  If I shave my legs in the morning, come evening, they have a "5 o'clock shadow."  Icky.  It's depressing.  And tiring.  But what I hate more than the frequency of which I have to shave my legs, is the razor burn that I get from it.  I have tried Bikini Zone cream/gel for my legs.  While it does improve the razor burn, because I have to shave so often it can get quite costly.  It also has a strong chemical odor which I'm not very fond of. 

There are two natural remedies that I use that currently make my shaving process go a lot smoother (pun intended).  First of all, let me start by saying that you don't have to use the natural versions of these products, but I find that the natural versions keep my sensitive skin from reacting.  If you have sensitive skin, I suggest you also use natural products.  But I do understand that natural products are more costly, so if you can't afford them, just try to find "sensitive" or "fragrance-free" versions of the cheaper brands.  Some of the most common natural brands you will see are: Tom's of Maine, Burt's Bees, Gud, and JĀSÖN.  Heck, you could probably even make your own natural products if you feel up to it.  In the long run, you'll spend way less money if you make them yourself.  :)

First thing's first - your skin should be soft and moisturized.  There are many shaving gels and creams available for women that help to moisturize the skin when shaving.  I've never really cared for shaving creams, because I've never found one that I like enough and that doesn't hurt my wallet (remember, I have to shave my legs daily).   For the past seven years I've been using conditioner to shave my legs.  Yep, plain ol' hair conditioner.  Conditioner has oils in it to moisturize your hair and scalp, which will soften your leg hair before you shave and your skin after you shave!  Because it is oil-based, a little bit goes a long way.  A small dollop in your palm will easily cover your entire leg.  Unless you have ridiculously long legs - then you may need more.  But we don't feel bad for you, because you have long legs and we're all insanely jealous of you!  ;)

Using conditioner by itself will make you notice a huge difference, but as an extra measure you can also use a "secret weapon" to combat razor burn.  A few months ago, I read that some women use deodorant to keep razor burn at bay.  I thought about it.  It made perfect sense, because I rarely get razor burn on my armpits (where I already apply deodorant).  So I gave it a try.  I used the deodorant to make a "streak" down the length of my leg and then rubbed it in with my hands.  But the real test was my bikini area.  It worked!  Not a bump or red spot could be found!  The only stipulation when choosing a deodorant is that it must be the solid (stick) kind.  Roll-ons and clear gels don't seem to work as well.  Unfortunately, the crystal deodorants don't work for me either.

For those of you who have/do use these methods already, how are they working out for you?  And for those of you who are just trying them, let us know what you think of your results!

No comments:

Post a Comment